Presented by Nancy Gordon, LCSW DBT-LBC Certified Clinician
DBT continues to be the gold standard treatment for people who are multi-diagnostic, and who have severe high risk, emotional/behavioral and interpersonal dysregulation and don’t respond to “treatment as usual”. Marsha Linehan, PhD, the creator of this treatment was recognized as one of the top 100 scientists EVER in Time Magazine’s 2018 special edition. If you are someone who has attended initial training, started to implement the strategies in your practice and are looking for a more advanced training to help you with some of the common struggles therapists have as beginning DBT clinicians, or are interested in getting more training towards the goal of DBT-LBC Certification, come join us for this two day experiential training. Nancy Gordon, LCSW is the owner of Tampa Bay Center for Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Inc., one of the few fully comprehensive DBT clinics in Florida. She was one of the first clinicians in the country to achieve DBT-LBC Certification and was the first DBT-LBC Certified clinician in Florida. She has been presenting, training, consulting and supervising DBT therapists for over 20 years and has helped start many DBT programs. Her mission is to continue to train therapists in DBT and other evidence-based treatments for the benefit of consumers and their families.
Upon completion of this training, participants will:
• Identify 3 classes of Quality of Life Interfering Behavior to help prioritize target behavior
• Explain the 4 Behavioral Theories of Change
• Describe the 6 secondary targets and how to target and treat them in sessions
• Identify at least 3 skills to teach a client to treat each secondary target
• Utilize target hierarchies, biosocial theory, behavioral theories of change and secondary
targets to develop a DBT Case Conceptualization
• Generate a Case Conceptualization of a current or past client
• Develop “mini-treatment plans” that treat controlling variables
• Define steps to address lack of progress in treatment.
• Describe the DBT-LBC Certification Process
• Developing the initial treatment plan…Balancing Stage 1 Target Behaviors and the client’s “life-worth-living” goals
• Developing an individualized diary card based on current target hierarchy
• What behaviors take top priority in individual sessions?
• Review of the behavioral chain analysis
• Using the Biosocial Theory and Behavioral Theories of Change to guide our analysis
• Secondary Targets…looking at Borderline Personality Disorder as a “dialectical failure”
• Task analysis and developing “mini-treatment plans”…powerful solutions to “break the chain”!
• “Dragging out new behavior”…teach, model, rehearse and feedback