DBT Skills Application Group
• A process support group for clients who have completed Stage I DBT skills group and who want to continue to strengthen and generalize skills in managing distress and problems of daily living, with a special focus on behaviour activation and increasing compassion towards themselves and others.
• The group is to help clients to facilitate working towards their life worth living goals in areas such as work, education, relationships, spirituality, health, sobriety, and however you define it.
• The group is led by a therapist and can be used as a step-down from the more intensive DBT program or as a way to get a refresher if desired.
*The Application group is not appropriate for crisis patterns/behaviours
Criteria and Expectation of Group Members:
• Each member will generate and complete a diary card or a goal tracking sheet.
• Members will have completed Skills Training with therapist support that there is a
fundamental knowledge of skills.
• Members will have achieved a significant reduction of Stage 1 behaviors and has
Therapist referral and recommendation for readiness:
– Absence of hospitalization or ER services for 3 months
– No active self-harm, aggressive, or suicidal behaviors for 3 months
– Ideally clean and sober, but at a minimum, a commitment to not come to group using substances and to not engage other group members in any using behaviors.
• Members have a history of positive group behaviors:
– Able to effectively participate in group despite being triggered by others
– Able to balance sharing with listening and validating and able to give and receive effective feedback.
• Members will either be in DBT therapy or were successfully discharged from DBT
Therapy and agree to return to therapy if stage 1 behaviors resume.
• Members will commit to 3 months of paid attendance at a time and will come on time. (6 groups)
Format/ Session structure:
• The group is held every other week for 2 hours by one facilitator (day/time to be determined) Observer role will be rotated between members to manage time and group rules.
• General DBT group guidelines apply (except that there is no requirement to have weekly individual sessions)
• Group starts with ringing the bell, then mindfulness, rotated and led by members (when ready).
• Brief Check-in and Agenda setting: Non-judgmental observations of example of skills used and of skills struggles related to the weekly mini goal. How much time do you need and what level of importance?
• During group members’ time Member tells the group what they need (validation, problem solving, skills coaching, skills review, reinforcement, validation, etc.) Group gives member feedback, advice, support, etc.
• Review or teach new skills.
• Closing: Did everyone get what they needed? Skills review and mindfulness or practice assignment for next week. Ring the bell for closure.
REFERRAL PROCESS AND FEES:
• A minimum of 4 people are needed to make the group viable. The maximum is 8.
• Members will be pre-screened by telephone (if client has received or is receiving treatment from a TBC for CBT Therapist) or by a consultation session (if client is a new client to TBC for CBT) to identify individual goals for the group and insure they meet the criteria.
• Confidentiality, releases, crisis plan, and registration paperwork will be filled out by the start of the first group.
• Client attendance is documented on “Group progress notes”
• Members will only be admitted at the beginning of each 3 month cycle and can continue as long as client is showing participation and application of skills in daily life, as well as not fully achieving their life worth living goals.
• Fees must be paid by cash, check or by PayPal either up front or at the time of service.
– $300.00 if paid up front, for 3 months, (6 sessions), no reimbursement for missed sessions.
– $60.00 per session if paid per session. Responsible for payment for all sessions regardless of attendance.
– Limited scholarship rates available.
– Self-Pay only. TBC for CBT will not be responsible for filing any insurance claims although invoices will be made available if requested.
– $50.00 deposit required to register. Please contact Nancy 813-480-8482 or at email@example.com for more informati